Jet2 flights will continue to be grounded for many more weeks due to coronavirus uncertainty, it has been announced. The British budget carrier revealed yesterday that its flight programme will only begin again on 17 June 2020. Any Jet2 customers with holidays booked before this date have had their flights axed.
- Dubai coronavirus: UK Government updates travel alert for UAE
Those affected by the new changes will be contacted by the airline, Jet2 has said.
The carrier said in its latest update: “Due to the ongoing uncertainty caused by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we’ve decided to recommence our flights programme on 17 June 2020.
“If you’re travelling before this date, unfortunately, your booking will be affected as our flights won’t be operating.
“We’re contacting all affected customers about their options – please check the FAQs below before contacting us, as we’re currently experiencing high volumes of calls right now.”
Jet2 added: “If you’ve booked your flights through an online travel agent (eg, On the Beach, or loveholidays), you’ll need to get in touch with them directly.”
The airline explained that while their call centre is fully staffed they’re receiving an unprecedented number of calls at this time so patience will be needed.
They clarified that customers will be contacted in departure date order.
“We’re continuing to operate a fully-staffed call centre but the number of calls we’re currently receiving is unprecedented and more than we can handle,” said Jet2.
“Therefore, we’re proactively contacting all affected customers in departure date order, which we think is the fairest way.
“Please be patient with us as we do this and remember that we’ll get in touch with you.
“So that we can call our affected customers, we’ll be taking fewer calls. Please note, this will mean longer than normal call wait times.
“The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has resulted in everyone having to deal with difficulties and restrictions, and our business and our colleagues face these too.
- Coronavirus travel: Industry fears over ‘collapse’ amid pandemic
“Please do bear with us and thank you in advance for your loyalty, understanding and patience.”
Jet2 pointed out that those whose flights are impacted will not be owned compensation.
The airline stated: “We are working extremely hard to deal with the unprecedented situation arising from the COVID-19 outbreak in Europe and ensure that affected customers receive all appropriate support and assistance.
“However, in line with the advice from the UK Civil Aviation Authority, delays and/or cancellations arising from circumstances relating to COVID-19 will be treated as extraordinary circumstances and therefore not eligible for compensation under Regulation EC261/2004.”
Last month the FCO urged all Britons to avoid non-essential travel worldwide for 30 days, however, officials took a further step this weekend.
In a social media video update, the FCO has now changed the 30-day period to an indefinite amount of time.
A tweet posted on Saturday night reads: “Travel update Airplane: The Foreign Office indefinitely advises against all non-essential global travel.”
Source: Read Full Article